01 October 2010

Favourite Things Friday

Life has been a little bit crappy lately and when that happens I like to loose myself in these.  I probably should have opened one of these lovelies recently but I have decided to read The Passage by Justin Cronin which is a apocalyptic horror which might have not been a good choice but I will forge on.

These are my all time favourite books.  I hated reading when I was at school but once I left I devoured lots and lots of books at first it was all Sci-fi/Fantasy then I went to Historical Novels, now I just about anything.  About 10 years ago maybe more I decided that I might start reading some classics which are well represented in  my all time favourite books, ones that I go back to again and again.

I am not really a romantic person and don't go in for sentimentality but these are all love stories so go figure.

Persuasion by Jane Austen love it and I watch the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds Version often (stay away from that horrible recent adaption it was a bit of a joke).

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte about time the BBC did a remake if they haven't already.

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte my all time favourite of the Bronte sisters novels, my copy is well worn.

The Guernsey Literacy & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, this was the author's first and last novel and it is a delight from cover to cover.  I don't think I have even leant this out to the girls to read.

Now join in Mrs P Favourite Things Friday.

10 comments:

Marg said...

I just read Pride and Prejudice again on holidays, loved it just as much as before. I also read The Guernsey Literacy & Potato Peel Society while away, a truly great read. I have always loved reading, but unfortunately once I start a book, I don't stop until I've finished, that leaves little time for other mundane stuff like housework, cooking etc, so I don't read as much as I used to, except when on holidays.

Kate said...

What a great favorites list. I haven't read all of your favorites, but I think I've read and re-read too many times to count most everything that Jane Austen wrote. Though I think my favorite of her work is Pride and Prejudice. Persuasion would be close second.

Hope that life gets less crappy for you very soon.

Shay said...

I've just re-read "Emma" for the third or fourth time. Another favourite more modern classic for me is "to Kill a Mockingbird" Love that book.

I read every single day. Isnt it great to escape into a book? I might have to hunt down that book you and Marg have both read about Potato peels.

Thanks for sharing your Favourite Thing this Friday.

Paulette said...

I'm going to have to see if I can find that last book you mentioned. Sounds interesting! I lean towards nonfiction, but lately I've wanted to read more of the classics that I somehow missed having to read in school. I love Jane Austen, but I am somewhat embarrassed to say that I have only ever seen the movie adaptations, never read the books. But I have seen just about every movie and series ever made--several times over! :)

Cardygirl said...

I love to read too & have my lifelong favourites! GL&PPS was a great book...have you read The Uncommon Reader? A nice light read but fun!

Unknown said...

I love reading...it's what I do at night before sleep...I know, I know they say (who ever they are) that one shouldn't read in bed, but I do.
I love mysteries and some historical fictions....
Must re read your FFFs one day.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

I'm not a "romance" person either but the classic romances are also on my favorite list. Perhaps it's the style of writing or perhaps it's because there is plenty of witty dialog, I don't know, but I do like them and re-read them over and over again. :)

Larri said...

Great favourites! Classics are great reads, aren't they? I recently re-read To Kill a Mockingbird and loved it! Visiting from FTF. Thanks for sharing. :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

AnnieO said...

Books are a great favorite of mine too. I didn't read Pride and Prejudice until just a few years ago and I continually pick it up for a re-read. Next on my classics list: a little John Steinbeck. It's been decades since I read East of Eden!

Chantal said...

Thanks for sharing your fav reads! I have added The Guernsey Literacy and Potato Peel Society to my list of books to read... the title alone has me intrigued : )